There are some important topics about the upright freezer that we will discuss before we go through the Best Upright Freezer reviews. If you are familiar with all the topics and want to skip the information guide, Go directly to the Freezer review below.
How to Defrost an Upright Freezer
You are on this page because you were wondering about how to defrost your upright freezer. Defrosting a freezer or fridge isn’t fun, but it is important. Ice buildup doesn’t only take space, but every 2 millimeters of buildup increases the energy consumption by about 10%. In other words, it’s wise not to postpone defrosting for too long. That’s why I’ve listed this step-by-step guide, I hope these tips will help you defrost your freezer.
In case you have any queries at any point in the guide, leave a comment and I will do my best to help you out.
Now, let’s come to the point.
Why Frost build-up even occurs?
First off, before we move on to defrosting it, It is important for you to know why it actually happens. Because as always, to solve a problem, we must know about its cause first.
Here is why it happens:
You know we open our freezer multiple times a day. And outside, our environment temperature is not as cool as the inside of a freezer. So, when we open it, warm air enters our freezer.
Because of the low and cool temperature of the freezer, it freezes up the moisture in the air resulting in frost on the freezer floor and walls.
So, one reason for frost to build up is when we open it multiple times in a day.
The second reason is when we put inside a non-freeze item in the freezer. Or in a worse scenario, if we put a very hot delicious custard in the freezer, it can cause frosting as well. Here, by hot I mean food or anything that is “steaming-hot”.(Yes, there are examples where some people do that too!)
where some people do that too!)
How it can be solved?
It is simple!
All you need to do is just a little bit of care. Just don’t open your freezer a lot of times. Open it only when needed – that’s it.
And make sure if you are putting food inside, it should not be hot!
After all, even if you do all these things, frost can still be there just after a while. It is a natural process and we can’t just stop it.
And most people use an upright freezer and face such issues, so this is why we should know how to defrost it. It is important to defrost it at least once a year for use in the long term.
Now, let’s talk about our main guide.
Steps to Defrost a Freezer?
There are multiple and different solutions depending on the freezer. There is a chance that you have a freezer that offers its own functionality to defrost it.
And sometimes maybe you need to do a manual defrost.
While most freezers can be defrosted manually, but as I mentioned some companies like Danby offer freezers with a defrost drain. Below is the step by step by step guide as you wanted to know how to defrost one.
Guide to Defrost an Upright Freezer
Step 1: Check if it really needs defrosting?
First off, check how much thick is the frost. If it is more than half of an inch or a quarter of an inch, then it is the perfect time to defrost it.
Step 2: Important steps
Follow the following small yet very important steps:
- Unplug your freezer
- Remove all frozen goods from the freezer, unless they’re already thawed or it won’t make any difference.
- You may have to take it to Outside
- Remove the drain plug of your freezer
- Normally it is at the bottom. Also, not all freezers have it. So, don’t worry if you can’t find it.
Step 3: Defrosting process
- Open the doors of your freezer and let it go! It will start defrosting itself. I hope you are not in hurry. Nature will save your time and effort. It may take up to 4 hours.
- In a hurry? Then try using running warm water over it for about an hour until everything is melted again.
- Have you ever been in a position where your freezer is full of food and there is a power outage? What should you do to keep the food safe and not let it spoil? The answer is easy. All that needs to be done is take a bag of salt, pour it all over the floor inside your freezer, then close up the door. In just six hours or less, everything will defrost and be ready for use again!
- Another easier way for busy people is to use a hairdryer! This will take about 2-4 hours but may vary depending on the size of your freezer and its contents. Please use gloves and maintain distance for it may overheat the inside of the freezer if done from very close distance.
Final Step: Drying and Cleaning the Freezer interior
You can use a towel or even a kitchen sponge to clean your freezer and then dry it. It is the best method.
- Then you can draw out the shelves and wash them.
- Use a thick towel to clean the inner surfaces of the freezer.
- Mix vinegar and water, make a spray and spray freezer surfaces.
Now, you have easily defrosted your freezer and I hope this guide on how to defrost an upright freezer helped you.
Do you think it helped you? Help us making quality content by sharing this with your friends who need to know
How Long do Upright Freezers Last – When to Replace?
If you are using a freezer for several years, you might be asking this question to yourself. Or you want to know how long do these freezers last so you can replace them when needed.
In this article, I will tell you how you can be aware of your freezer if it has become old enough to be replaced or not.
So, Let’s start without wasting time.
How long do upright freezers last?
The answer depends upon many factors like which brand you are using, the technology being used, current condition, and how it has been being used before.
In general, most freezers can last up to 10 or 13 years.
However, many people also claim that their freezer has lasted for more than 20 years. So, one can’t give any obvious answer to the question.
When to replace Upright One?
When the age of a freezer is over, we need to replace it. But do you know it is the right time to replace it?
One of the things that you can consider to make your decision is if your freezer makes odd sounds while running, then definitely it needs to be repaired.
At least, once a year, you should get your freezer tuned and repaired for its proper functioning.
Another reason that can make you buy a new one is if the repairing cost is more than buying a new one, it is the best time to purchase the new one.
Below I am mentioning some factors that can affect the life of a freezer:
Improper use of Freezer
If you have been using your freezer in improper ways, then of course it will reduce the life of your freezer. You should follow the user manual and recommendations provided by your freezer provider or company that makes it.
They don’t just say it – there is proper research and results reports behind making such recommendations.
So, if they recommend you to not do a specific thing to your freezer. Just avoid it.
As we all know, Prevention is the biggest cure for any problem.
Dust and Unclean Freezer
If you just use your freezer and don’t clean it in a given interval or recommended period of time, then it will lose its life just quickly.
So, better to clean it properly and when needed. Make a schedule and clean it at least once a year – that’s the best time period.
Energy Usage and Other Factors
It may happen that your freezer starts using more energy than before. However, even if it doesn’t use more energy but delivers less efficient service than before, then it is getting older.
So, less efficiency and more power usage mean you either need to get it tuned or replaced with a new one.
Also, note that you should use a freezer that is energy efficient. There are companies that are offering very energy-efficient freezers to those who are looking for them.
If your freezer is older than 1999 or was manufactured before 1993, then you should replace your freezer. Because the freezers that were made back in that time, are not energy efficient. Now, we have advanced technology and more efficient freezers.
Can You Transport an Upright Freezer on its Side? – Answer
Maybe you bought a new upright freezer or you are just shifting to a new home. If you want to know can you transport an upright freezer on its side or not, then I will answer in this guide.
However, if you are in a hurry, then a straight answer is NO! You Should NOT do this!
For more details, please read further about the reasons why you can’t and shouldn’t do this.
When replacing a freezer, It is very important that you follow the instructions below :
Precautions of transporting an upright freezer
Whether it is an upright freezer or another appliance, you should always follow the recommended (original position) of the appliance.
Below are the steps you should always care for when transporting an upright freezer:
- Make sure that you have disconnected your freezer from the switch. Pull out the power cord so you are safe to handle this and from electric shocks as well.
- After you have cut down the electric connection of the freezer, remove all the items from your freezer if there is anything inside. So, if you have any food in it, remove it from there.
- After you remove all of your items from the freezer, check if frost is there. If it is, then it is very important for you to defrost it before transporting it.
Conditions where you can place it on the side
If placing the freezer in an upright position is not possible in your scenario, then you can place it on its side.
BUT make sure that you lay it down on the compressor side of the unit. Be careful that the door shouldn’t open while transporting. It may give birth to more issues otherwise.
When you have transported the freezer, make sure to set it on its original upright position for the same amount of time that it was on its side.
And do NOT plug it into the electricity right after transportation. Wait for this settling time – it is important.
However, if the upright freezer was transported to you in an upright position, then you don’t need to wait for settling time – enjoy.
Also, if the transportation time was more than 24 hours, or maybe it took 2 days on its side position before reaching the destination, then just set it in an upright position for a maximum of 24 hours.
Why is it Not Good to lay an upright freezer on its side?
The most important thing in a freezer is its compressor. And if you lay your freezer on the side position, this can harm its compressor which can later be a big problem for you.
If it is harmed, then you will need to take it back for repairs which can lead to more problems during transportation. A harmed compressor can keep your freezer from doing its job and solving your problems.
Did you know that compressor is filled with an oil that is held in place with the help of gravity? So, when it is on the side, this can just relocate and lose its position. That is why it is recommended for an upright position, if that’s not possible, then lay it down on the side of its compressor. And when reached the destination, make sure to set it in an upright position for the same amount of time for which it was set on its side.
Just to recall what is best, below I have straight answers:
- No, don’t lay it down on the side.
- If it is not possible, then lay it down on the side of its compressor.
That’s all. Do you think it was helpful, leave a comment below so we can keep making quality content?
Best Frost Free Upright Freezers Review- Latest 2021
Are you worried because of the frost in your freezer? It takes a lot of time to get rid of that. But did you know that there are frost-free freezers as well? In this post, I’m going to mention one out of many Best Frost Free Upright Freezers so you should be free from worries.
If you are in a hurry, then just go for Danby DFF100C2WDD as it is the best frost-free upright freezer for you.
Want to learn more about its features? Keep reading.
Danby Designer Energy Star Upright Freezer in White, DUFM085A4WDD – Best Medium Frost Free Upright Freezer
Danby is a company that builds appliances for your ease. Their description says that they just build appliances that fit your space and follow your desires. They specialize in Refrigerators or freezers.
Danby DUFM085A4WDD is one of their masterpieces.
Frost-Free: This is the no. of feature in our list for this upright freezer. This is what makes it super comfortable and gives you the ease of use. It features an incredible self-defrosting capability that will save your time and effort. So, you will never have to manually defrost your freezer.
Smart Reversible Door Hinge System: Another incredible feature that makes this a very unique freezer is its smart reversible door hinge system. It means that you can open it either with your left hand or right hand. How amazing is that?
Certified by Energy Star: This freezer is certified by Energy Star which is a program that the U.S Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy runs. This program promotes energy and has certified this Best Frost Free Upright Freezer. It is a Big Win!
Made with Steel: The material used to make this freezer is Steel and the Door is also made up of Steel. This gives this freezer good durability resulting in long-term use.
Energy Efficient: Very energy efficient with Enerygystar Certification.
The freezer weighs over 130 pounds and has a capacity of 9.9 cubic feet. It uses 120 volts voltage.
This freezer is a mid-size freezer with a height of five feet and a width of two feet.
This makes it perfect for places like Condominiums, Wet Bars, Office Lunchrooms, and Apartments.
One another great advantage is its Heat less LED. This freezer features a heat-less LED that does nothing except enlightening the inside of the freezer for you. So, you are ensured to get the highest level of cooling that it has to offer.
They will help you to unhook and remove away your old freezer. They will provide you if there will be any need of any part for installation purposes.
Below are some of the additional benefits that you get along with it:
Being a very useful appliance having many benefits, another benefit that comes to its account is that it delivers ease of space organization. It has a sizable crisper drawer and adjustable shelving. It doesn’t stop here and also has a CanStor beverage dispenser.
This Danby freezer is certified by EnergyStar operates at only 297 KWH/year. This makes it much more energy-efficient and is a big win for the product. Also, being certified by the USEPA Agency makes it trustworthy.
This is yet another reason that makes this freezer one of the Best Frost Free Upright Freezers.
When it comes to durability, material matters a lot. Its door and itself are made up of Steel which claims its durability. Also, don’t think that having adjustable shelving will make it not durable – it is very durable.
It is an elite model of Danby and it gives you a handy in-home service, 18-months parts as well as labor warranty. So, you are in safe hands and can be free from worries.
LED Display & Controls
Danby DFF100C2WDD features a very easy control system that includes an LED display as well. It will ensure that you don’t end up being confused about how to use this freezer.
Best Upright Freezer Deals – [Updated 2021]
Are you looking for the best upright freezer deals on the Internet? If so, we have it.
Internet is full of this and that and many times you end up pinching yourself because some just used your trust yours by recommending fake deals for just making money.
However, its not the case here.
I will only mention what really are the best upright freezer deals.
Keep on reading for knowing.
1. Best Deal in a compact size: Midea WHS-109FW1 White
Midea WHS-109FW1 White
The Midea WHS-109FW1 Upright Freezer, 3.0 Cubic Feet, White is a great appliance to have in your home.
1. Reversible Door Hinge – allows right or left side opening, which makes it easy to fit any spot of your room
2.Removable Wire shelf – Allows the refrigerator to fit larger or irregular-shaped items.
3.Energy Star Certified – The refrigerator has pass energy star certified standards, and it runs quietly with a sound level of 33.4 dB and low energy consumption, which is quite efficient.
4.Temparature rating – -11.2ᵒ F to 10.4ᵒ F,Voltage – 120V
5.Mechanical Adjustable Thermostat – Always allows your cooled item at an optimum temperature
2: KUPPET Compact Upright Freezer
- KUPPET Compact Upright Freezer – as the name suggests – is a compact freezer.
- Its small size makes it a perfect choice for you if you live in a small apartment or need a small office.
- It is portable – its small size gives it just numerous benefits that you can imagine. Portability is amazing and you can just shift it to any other place with ease whenever you want.
- Modern and Elegant Design: It is a cubic 1.1 feet freestanding freezer. With a unique and stylish look, it can impress anybody alone.
- Reversible Stainless steel door – As many best frost free upright freezers do, this KUPPET Compact Upright Freezer also features a reversible door in cooperation with adjustable horizontal leg design as well as the top hinge cover
- It is available in silver color which itself is a beauty and gives it a classy look.
3: Sunpentown UF-114SS
- It is a very popular and commercial unit that can be founded easily in many top-class restaurants, hotels as well as resorts. So, you can imagine its quality.
- Sunpentown products are made by keeping the ease of use for users in mind so you will always get a high-quality and easy-to-use product.
- Very Affordable Price – When compared to other top-class freezers, Sunpentown freezers are one of the most affordable freezers when it comes to price and value. They deliver best and are best priced as well.
- The only downside is that the material used in this freezer is Plastic that just doesn’t make it much durable and strong.
- However, plastic complements its beauty to some extent.
- It has a removable wire shelf, adjustable thermostat, and perfect for limited space.
3: Whynter CUF-210SS
- We included this Deal because it has some of the biggest benefits that come along with it.
- It is much reliable because of many reasons. One of those is that the material used for making this freezer is stainless steel. This gives you comfort by making it durable enough.
- It has won Amazon’s Choice tag for the mini freezer. With a storage volume of 2.1 Cubic Feet and 27.5 inches in height, it is a mini freezer.
- FREE Amazon Product Support is included in the price when you purchase it. This support includes 90-day support if you need someone to set up it for you. You are covered!
These were some of the best upright freezer deals. I hope these will make your day awesome and we have mentioned this mixed-sized list keeping your different needs in mind and we did spend some time on it and research. Let us know in the comments below if you find any deals that should be included in our list. We shall consider for sure.
More Kitchen Topics here :